Other Immigration Services Lotfi Legal Provides

Foreign nationals considering coming to the United States face a wide variety of legal challenges that go beyond the paperwork. At Lotfi Legal, we strive to help our clients in whatever way they need help. As a result, we are a full-service immigration law firm, providing effective legal representation in whatever immigration issue you may be facing. 

Change or Extension of Status

Individuals present in the United States as nonimmigrants can file an application to change to another nonimmigrant status or to extend their current nonimmigrant status. For example, a student attending a U.S. university in student status may want to switch to a visitor visa after graduation in order to tour the United States, or a visitor visa holder who is visiting her child but is reaching the end of her period of authorized stay may decide she wants to extend her visit. Changes or extensions of status are common, but the conditions and requirements involved in applying can be difficult to navigate.

F-1 Reinstatement

Individuals in the United States on a student (F-1) visa can find themselves out of their student status. This is often an accident and can result from a school failing to transfer their student record (SEVIS) to another school, the student not enrolling as a full-time student for a semester, or accidentally working without proper authorization, or failing to meet one of the numerous applicable deadlines. Whatever the case may be, you may need to file for reinstatement. There are numerous eligibility requirements, but if successful, you can avoid having to leave the country and get a new visa in order to re-enter. 

Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

DACA is a program designed to protect young people who entered the country unlawfully from being deported. While the program does not provide a pathway to citizenship or even grant them legal status, it does allow them to obtain a driver’s license, Social Security Number, and work permit. To qualify, you must meet the following criteria: 

  • You entered the United States unlawfully prior to turning 16 years old
  • You were born on or after June 16, 1981
  • You have lived in the United States continuously since June 15, 2007, up until the time you file your DACA request
  • You were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time you filed your DACA request
  • You had no legal status on June 15, 2012, and at the time you filed your DACA request
  • You are currently enrolled in school, have completed high school, obtained a GED, or have been honorably discharged from the armed forces 
  • You have not been convicted of a felony or a serious misdemeanor or three or more minor misdemeanors
  • You do not otherwise pose a threat to public safety or national security

The rules around DACA frequently change, so it is best to speak to an immigration attorney about your eligibility. If you need to apply, renew your status, or want to obtain Advance Parole to travel while on DACA, Lotfi Legal can help. 

Temporary Protected Status (TPS)

If you are in the United States and are from one of a list of designated countries that are currently experiencing armed conflict, a natural disaster, or other extraordinary and temporary conditions that render the country currently unsafe for its people, you may be eligible to apply for Temporary Protected Status (TPS). 

If you successfully obtain TPS, you are authorized to remain in the United States, and you can apply for a work permit and travel authorization. Importantly, TPS is temporary, and it does not lead to lawful permanent residence or give you any other immigration status. However, you may continue to pursue other immigrant or nonimmigrant status and file for other available protections, such as asylum.

The list of TPS-eligible countries changes frequently, so it is best to speak to an immigration attorney about your eligibility.


Unfortunately, not every application or proceeding goes the way it should. Fortunately, you have the right to seek an appeal. However, it is vital that you take action right away—you can lose all of your rights if you fail to file your appeal in a timely manner. The appeal process is complicated and must be carefully managed. Certain denials may be appealed to a higher immigration panel or a federal court, while others may require a motion to reopen or a motion to reconsider. An immigration attorney from our firm will know what kind of appeal is available to you, and how to build the strongest appeal possible to get the outcome you are hoping for. 

Green Card Renewal

If you are a U.S. lawful permanent resident, you typically need to renew your green card every ten years. Failure to renew your green card will not result in revoking your permanent residency, but it could cause issues when trying to re-enter the United States after traveling abroad or when applying for a job. Compared to other parts of the immigration system, the green card renewal process is comparatively straightforward, but problems can occur. Let us help with the renewal process so you can focus on living your life. 

Re-Entry Permits

As a lawful permanent resident, you are free to travel abroad, but sometimes you need to stay outside the country for a year or longer, for example, to attend school, get medical care, or care for young children or a sick family member. However, you need to be careful: the government may determine that you have abandoned your permanent resident status if you spend 365 days or more abroad. One way to avoid this is to request a re-entry permit before leaving. The re-entry permit will allow you to travel outside the United States for up to two years without endangering your lawful permanent residence. You can only request the re-entry permit while you are in the United States, so it is important to begin the process before you leave on an extended trip.

Contact Lotfi Legal for All of Your Immigration Needs

If you have questions about your options, the immigration team at Lotfi Legal can provide the guidance you need. With decades of combined experience, we know how to navigate the immigration system effectively and economically. Call or email us today to discuss your needs and how we can help.